Sunday, August 10, 2014

Quotography: Still


Be still, my soul

Be still, my soul: The Lord is on thy side;
With patience bear thy cross of grief or pain.
Leave to thy God to order and provide;
In ev'ry change he faithful will remain.
Be still, my soul: Thy best, thy heav'nly Friend
Thur thorny ways leads to a joyful end.

Be, still, my soul: Thy God doth undertake,
To guide the future as he has the past,
Thy hope, thy confidence let nothing shake;
All now mysterious shall be bright at last.
Be still, my soul: The waves and winds still know
His voice who ruled them while he dwelt below.

Be still, my soul: The hour is hast'ning on
When we shall be forever with the Lord,
When disappointment, grief, and fear are gone,
Sorrow forget, loves purest joys restored.
Be still, my soul: When change and tears are past,
All safe and blessed we shall meet at last.

Text: Katharina von Schlegel, b 1697
trans. by Jane Barhwick, 1813-1897

Music: Jean Sibelius, 1865-1957


And all they who have mourned shall be comforted. 
Doctrine and Covenants 101:14
This beautiful hymn was sung at Shaniel's funeral by her brother-in-law Robby Donaldson. The lyrics, combined with the music, express my feelings to the very depths of my soul. I am calmed and comforted every time I hear the words... be still my soul: the Lord is on thy side... with patience bear thy cross of grief or pain... thur thorny ways leads to a joyful end... be still, my soul: when change and tears are past, all safe and blessed we shall meet at last.

Not only will we have rest in the Lord at our appointed time, we will also rejoice in the renewed friendship of our loved ones. I miss my angel daughter, Shaniel, so very much and look forward with great anticipation when I can see her again. I yearn to be near her, hug her, tell her I love her, and never ever let her go. Patience bear... until we meet again.

4 comments:

  1. Good Sunday, dear Carol.
    I love this song, too. And also, It Is Well With My Soul.
    That's something we all work on thill the day we go to Heaven. And maybe even there!
    My heart aches for your loss. It makes me glad that you were able to forgive.
    Many blessings, m & jb (who is a constant blessing, herself)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Carol, God must have directed me here today. A friend from church died this morning, and I have felt unsettled all day. Your words and wisdom along with that beautiful photo comfort me.
    But I also hear such pain in your own words. As a mother I can not imagine the pain of losing your daughter. I will be praying for you and I hope you feel the comforting presence of God around you holding you just a little more securely in the coming days. Peace to you. ~May

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Will, it's hard to find the words to express when it's someone else's sorrow. I want you to know that you are in my thoughts and prayers at this difficult time. As we turn to the Lord, and place all our sorrows at His feet, we will start to feel the healing balm that comes through the atonement of Jesus Christ. Our faith and hope will be strengthened as we continue forward without our loved ones. I'd like to invite you to visit Shaniel's Story (link is on the side bar) and read about our experiences through this trial.

      May God bless you!

      Delete
  3. I feel his hand calming my soul often. Lovely post

    ReplyDelete