Tuesday, February 9, 2016

Spilt Milk

February 11 is National "Don't Cry Over Spilled Milk" day. 
The Oxford English Dictionary defines the phrase “it’s no use crying over spilt milk” and its many variations as meaning “it is futile to regret what cannot be altered or undone.”
Well... our little guy took it literal!



A couple of days ago, I was at the sink rinsing dishes. Audrey left for only a minute to put in a dvd movie for the older kids. Baby J was sitting in the middle of the kitchen floor with only his binkie and bottle. Waiting for mommy. Harmless! Or so we thought! 

Just as she got back down the stairs, baby J was caught red-handed... sitting in the middle of none other than "spilled milk!" I perked up at my daughter's gasp and went to see what the fuss was about. Baby J was soaked from head to toe in milk, proud as could be, in a puddle of "spilled milk. He had his first lesson in Art! How clever! He was rubbing his hand through the fresh spilled milk, making prints, slapping his hand in the puddle, and spattering the white liquid from head to toe. Oh joy!  

Rather than scoop him up... we let him play. Looking up, he grinned from ear to ear, seeking approval from mommy and grandma for his creative art experience. Without hesitation we applauded and cheered him on as if he won first place in a race! 

There's no use crying over spilled milk! Our little ones are only little once. What does it matter that they make a mess, spill some milk, and tear through the house like a tornado? They are learning. They are exploring new vistas in their little world. They are discovering, creating, and learning to problem solve. Just the way it should be.  

I have to say, this grandma enjoyed a "candid moment" with baby J and "spilled milk" today! 





Tip: Woolies are water resistant. After we picked J up and wiped him down, he was dry instantly. Slick!

8 comments:

  1. How fun for all of you. Do you remember that flannel board story we made, "It looked like spilled but it wasn't"? It was one of my kids favorites

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know why, but I can't remember it. You will have to describe more and maybe I will. I have lost so much memory with the stress of losing my kids.

      Delete
    2. We cut different shapes out of white flannel. The story went like this: It looked like spilt milk but it wasn't, it was a . . . Then they would say the name of the shape they put on the flannel board. The last line of story is, "It looked like spilt milk but it wasn't, it was a cloud. We used to do it over and over and over and then go outside and lay on the grass. We would cloud watch and use the story line about spilt milk and then we would say the name of the shape we saw in the cloud. Good times, good memories.

      Delete
  2. Very cute, but then, I didn't have to clean him up...

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are so right, kids are only little once! Now you have these adorable photos to remember this story.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a great memory for you! I love this post!

    http://yaknowstuff.blogspot.com/2016/02/8-virtual-valentines-i-am-giving-out.html

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh man, at least it was contained spilled milk. Somehow when my kids spill milk it winds up all over my walls, floors, clothes, doors...you name it. And I do feel like crying. Because I hate cleaning. ;) He is too adorable though!

    ReplyDelete