Monday, September 8, 2014

Quotography: September


September, blow soft till the fruit's in the loft. - The Old Farmer's Almanac

The first of September is always an exciting time on the Daniel's Farm. We harvest the peaches, pears, apples, blackberries and grapes. By the end of the month all is picked. The baskets are put away in the loft. The tractors are put to rest in the barn for a season. The leaves change colors. But the best thing of all, is the smell of Autumn in the orchard!

A couple of mornings ago, I was up early picking peaches for a customer and as I walked by the berry patch and grapes... oh! the fragrance that filled the cool, crisp morning air was just heavenly! There is nothing better than the smell of fully ripe grapes. Delicious purpleeee grape juice (better than Welch's) filled the air! And the vines, with their large yellow leaves, and clusters of green and purple grapes make up the perfect color combination. It's like being in a painting. On my farm... and I get to be in it every single day! I love it when the grapes stay on their vines until the first frost comes. Not only for their fragrance, but for the natural sugar it produces. It makes the best bottled grape juice and jelly. 

I stopped a few minutes to take it all in. I looked around at the beauty that surrounded me on all sides. An overwhelming feeling of peace, comfort, and thanksgiving filled me to the brim. How grateful I am to live here, among the fruits of our labor!

4 comments:

  1. How refreshing. Both the beauty and your gratitude. I love September too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such a wonderful picture you paint. Gratitude always brings the spirit. I love that feeling.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My friend made concord grape jelly once. The exquisite taste of it still lives in my memory. I love it that you were full of happiness and gratitude. :) m & jb

    ReplyDelete
  4. That sounds just wonderful. So good to hear that you enjoy your farm. I am sure I would find a lot of photo opportunities there.

    ReplyDelete