Wednesday, April 9, 2014

Reflections

re·flec·tion  (riˈflekSHən/)
noun

1. "the reflection of light"-- sending back, throwing back, casting back.

2. serious thought or consideration. synonyms: thought, thinking, consideration, contemplation, deliberation, pondering, meditation, musing

Reflecting is a part of my everyday life.

I reflect more these day. Maybe because I am getting older. 

I have lost loved ones that are very close to my heart and I often find myself reflecting on the life I lived with them. Where my life is now. And, where it is going. 

I like alone time because I like to "think". I often get lost in my own thoughts and I like that. I have come to know myself pretty well. My husband used to tell me that he "knew me better than I knew myself." That might have been the case several years ago. But, not any more. 

The deaths of my parents and my daughter caused a great change in me. For the good. When I reflect on those difficult days and the loneliness I felt without them, I knew to what source I had to draw strength from. My Savior! Through His atonement I found courage and healing. I learned what I was made of. I was a lot stronger than what I thought I was. You can't get over losing a child without deep Faith. Hope. Prayer. And a loving family. 

I turned to the scriptures, more than ever before, and found great comfort and peace in the words of the Lord and the promise of being with our loved ones again. I love to ponder and consider the glorious truths found in the scriptures. 

And, sometimes, I just love the surprise of seeing a reflection in still water. Or a reflection of the unexpected after a rain storm. I feel a deep sense of gratitude every time I see the awe and wonder that is in the beauty of nature.

I got on Pinterest because you can find anything on Pinterest. I found quotes and images that struck a cord with me. I was inspired! I was amazed! Some of the following are my own reflection images and thoughts, too.

Reflection is good therapy for me. Maybe it will be for you today, too. 









Love this!


And this!


Such wise words to live by!



May we never forget. 



My own photo -- Willow Park Zoo. Last week was Spring Break for the grandkids. The girls and I took the little vacationers on a day adventure to Willow Park Zoo. The sun was shining! It was warm. I love the reflection of the trees in the stream.



I've been here -- Tubigen, Germany. Beautiful!



My own photo - Venice, Italy. I love this shot at dusk and how the reflection of the light on the water is soft, broken, and subtle. So serene.



My own photo -- Willard Bay. Our home overlooks Willard Bay. Shortly after my mother's death, my husband took me out on the boat. It was so peaceful and calm and good for my soul. All was quiet. Only a soft cry of a seagull could be heard every now and then. Husband knew I needed time for reflection. I was grateful for his thoughtfulness. With my face to the sun and a gentle breeze on my back, I soon found myself drifting off in pleasant memories of my mother. 



My own photo - Antelope Island. I got a shot of beautiful Antelope Island reflected in the Great Salt Lake as we rode out to help in the Bison Roundup. 



My own photo -- Heber Valley Fairgrounds. This was a bittersweet day for my husband. The old fairgrounds are now abandoned. A large, new, and very much improved County Complex was built just to the west of it. The hubs spent many happy days at the fairgrounds with his father, who served the community as the Wasatch County Extension Agent for over 30 years. To me, the standing water is a symbol of reflection of days gone by.



My own photo -- Great Grandmother's Pink Depression dishes. With my reflection! It's next to impossible to get a picture, that has anything to do with a mirror, and take it without some part of yourself in it! 



How do you define Reflection?

Writing prompt # 3: Write a blog post inspired by the word: Reflection.

Hosted by 

Mama’s Losin’ It

6 comments:

  1. Oh, Carol, this is filled with the wisdom of living, loving and losing. The thought of you contemplating your loss out on that bay made me get teary and smile at the same time. So glad you had that beautiful spot and a loving partner who knew to take you there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your kind and thoughtful comment, May.

      I read your post, and enjoyed it as usual, but was unable to post a comment. Do I need to do something I am not aware of? Please give me instructions for doing so. Thanks so much!

      Delete
  2. Reflection is a good thing. I agree, it gives a person strength. You have certainly found strength and courage over the past year. love you. The photo's were beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is a beautiful post with wonderful pictures and thoughts on which to reflect.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Carol, I loved your post on reflection! The photos were gorgeous!

    I, too, love alone time. Sometimes I crave it. I especially love those times when I can be out in nature with sun shining on my face, and as you say, a gentle breeze on my back. Heavenly!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Loss definitely has a way of turning us inward...I think it's good to give ourselves time to reflect as long as that time is not also turning away people who are present with us. It's a fine line I had to learn to walk myself.

    ReplyDelete