Thursday, March 6, 2014

Advice--unexpected

The best advice I received from my mother was at the end of her life. It didn't come from words so much. It was mostly by example. When I planned a visit to mom's, I stayed a few days with her. We would end each day with meaningful conversation.. filled with memories, humor, laughter, gratitude. Prayer was offered every night before going to bed. 

I loved my mother's prayers. They were full of conviction and love for the Lord and her family. She expressed thankfulness for all her blessings. In looking back, I can see how advice to me came in way of prayer. She expressed her gratitude for me. For taking time to visit and spend time with her. For helping her, taking her places, and being kind and thoughtful. She expressed her love for me. She expressed gratitude in my ability as both a daughter and a mother. It was her way of teaching me. She expressed gratitude for the earth's beauty, the seasons, food to eat, knowledge, opportunities to serve, for faith, and family. Her prayers were genuine, sincere, and from the heart. They ascended to heaven. She could kneel in prayer for a long time! 

Mother's advice came in way of example and prayer that spoke volumes--loud and clear, to my heart and soul. It was her way of teaching me; imparting advice. In a way least expected.

Her advice--

Love and serve others, especially my mother in her aging years. Keep these most important--God, family, faith. Be kind. Be thoughtful. Be helpful. Be grateful. Care for others. Express love. Express concern. Be compassionate. Practice patience. Find humor in life and self.
Laugh! Enjoy the beauties of the earthPlant pretty flowers. Love and beautify home. Keep connected to family members--immediate, extended, ancestors. Enjoy being a mother and grandmother. Create memories. Throw lots of family parties! Love being a homemaker.Take pride in home and yard. Dress nice; dress modest. Be clean; look nice.
Encourage children and grandchildren to develop talents and skills.. and then support them. Treasure simple moments. Play with the kids. Be creative. Never stop learning.Teach by example.


Mother not only taught them to me...she prayed them to me!


Mother's greatest advice of all time.. growing up.


"If you can't say something nice, don't say nothing at all!" 
(famous words from Bambi)

Another tidbit from mother's reservoir of advice...


 "Do unto others as He would do unto you."
(the Golden Rule)

Watching my mother's health decline over the last few months of life, and watching her struggle with walking and doing even simple things, brought a whole new perspective to this other bit of advice...


 "Don't judge someone without walking a mile in their shoes."                      


A post written about mother, May 2012.

Mother Dear... Come to Tea, Please!

I've had a lot to think about these last few weeks.  More often than not, MOTHER seems to be the center of those thoughts.  It's Mothers Day, the first one without my mother.  I can hardly stand the thought.  If I could just one more time... sit at her knee and be taught, held in her arms to be loved, kiss her tender cheek good night, listen to her prayers to be comforted, feel of her spirit to be blessed. Oh... I would give anything!  I miss her so much.  Mothers Day Tea at Kelsey's was full of love, friendship, and togetherness. My good pleasure of being a daughter and mother, started with Mother... my mother.  I am blessed.  My thoughts, my actions, my hopes and dreams are centered in mother's teachings and Christ-like example.  

I invited you along today, mother.  I hope you were here and enjoyed the Tea!






Writing prompt #2: Advice your mother gave you.

Hosted by

Mama’s Losin’ It

3 comments:

  1. She did know how to pray. I always loved that about her too. I remember all the little signs she used to post around the house . . . "Did You Think to Pray" above the door, there was a scripture about not fighting on the wall in the dining room. I can't remember any more right off the top of my head. The best advice she ever gave me was to enjoy every minute of my life and not wish it away. My only regret is that I wish had listened better, I'd give anything to go over to her house and get some advice.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hear you. I would gladly take any advice right now. Her advice was always good. I sure do miss her! And, I do remember the little signs she posted around, too. My fondest memory of early mornings was her little tap on the bedroom door, then she would open it up and start to sing "Did You Think to Pray", or "You Are My Sunshine". What pleasantness to wake up to... besides the smell of breakfast cooking!

    ReplyDelete
  3. She just sounds so lovely. I'm glad you could put these memories of her advice somewhere tangible for you to view and remember and re-read from time to time. Beautifully written!

    ReplyDelete