Thursday, January 17, 2013

Explore

I've been snowed in for awhile, and was starting to get cabin fever. So, today I went outside to get some sunshine and take in some fresh air (or rather, inversion!). The snow was picture pretty. I decided to do some exploring. Even in the freezing winter months there is always something interesting to see. And, that I did!


Looking down the driveway, I am reminded of why I love where I live. It's beautiful in any season! I love the bare branches of the cherry trees against the white blanket of snow and gray covered sky.


The snow is up to the bottom edge of the landscape light. When dusk comes and the lights turn on, the glow from the bulb underneath the snow gives off a softly hidden cast of light. It looks magical. 


I wander down the driveway a little farther. What is this? Deer tracks. Lots of them. And, it looks like they have made some beds to lay in. 


I follow the the tracks around the house.


They have even come around to the front of the house!


I trace the tracks to the orchard. The deer have come off the foot hills and mountain above our home in search of food. They won't find much here. Although, they will eat the bark off of the new trees if we don't protect them with wire cages.


More tracks and beds found on the second tier of the yard.


A broader picture


What started out as 7 discovered beds in the yard have now expanded to 15. The word must have got out! The deer are gone before I get up in the morning, so I haven't seen them firsthand. Maybe I will surprise them tonight!


I haven't seen icicles in awhile. I was happy to see them hanging from the eaves of the house. When I was young, one of my favorite things to do in the winter was to break off the biggest icicle I could find under the eaves of the house, and lick it like a popsicle. Knocking the icicles down and hearing them clang against each other as they came crashing to the ground, gave me thrill. 

After all my winter exploring, I came in the house to a warm fire and started thinking about all the exploring that awaited me in the Spring. I can't wait!

If you have ever visited southern Utah, you know you are in God's country. There are red rocks, huge canyons and gorges, rivers, caves and crevices to explore, and never ending trails to take you to places you never thought imaginable. It is home to National Parks, including Zions National Park, Bryce Canyon, the Great Escalante Staircase, the Grand Canyon, Arches, and much more. Spring Canyon, located a few miles southeast of Cedar City provides plenty of exploring opportunities. While going to school in Cedar City, my youngest daughter and her husband made the weekends into exploring trips. I went as often as I could. Exploring southern Utah is nothing short of exhilarating! 








Spring Canyon

writing prompt: Choose  a word and let it inspire a blog post. I chose #1 Explore.

4 comments:

  1. Wow... you get that pretty snow! We only ever get ugly snow in NYC.

    Visiting from Mama Kat's. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was nice you could get out. I got out today! I actually buckled two babies into their seats, loaded them into the car and went to a meeting! It was exhausting :( I see why I stay home. I agree with you on exploring southern Utah. It is fabulous. Love your pics.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my, I would love to live where you live too!!! Beautiful, so beautiful. The pics as are your words, woven together. We got quite a bit of snow for our country the Netherlands that is still on the ground, which is very unusual. Unfortunately, we were, for no reason, quite unprepared. So biking is still quite the adventure...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Now I feel I need to visit Southern Utah! I had no idea is was gorgeous. I went to Salt Lake City once as a child but can only remember the Salt Lake.

    Your winter photos were gorgeous. I bet those cherry trees look pretty blooming in the spring, too.

    ReplyDelete