The Zinnia is my favorite summer flower. I bought some in late spring. The plants were quite leggy and begging for more room to grow. When I transplanted them I wasn't sure how they would do.
They have since adjusted to their new home and have made some surprising adaptations. I kind of like their funky twists and bends. It's a little unusual for them not to stand strait and tall... like a soldier... stretching upward to the sky. They have learned to live with their long legged stems.
The Zinnia's are planted in old wooden tool boxes. One white. The other blue. Both chipping and weathering with age. It's a perfect combination. The vivid array of colors against the backdrop of old chipping paint and rusty hinges draws the visitor of the garden a little closer.
The Zinnia's bend their head's and take a bow... as if they had just given a performance of a life time. They spread sunshine and color and the garden applauds!






So beautiful and I love the boxes too.
ReplyDeleteYour images are so pretty! Zinnias were my mother's favorites. Our yard was overall little more than a weed patch. But there was always a single peony bush and a smattering of zinnias to brighten her day.
ReplyDeleteAhhh they are so beautiful! They remind me a little of my favorite flower, the Dahlia. :)
ReplyDeleteI don't think that I've ever seen a Zinnia planted near my home. I'm in Canada. They are absolutely beautiful. They do look perfect in those tool boxes!
ReplyDeleteMy favourite flower is daisies and my grandma's peonies that I stole clippings from in her garden just shortly before she passed away. I think she wouldn't have minded though. They bloom beautifully every year.