When I was young, one of my favorite things to do on a hot summer day was to lay on the grass and look up at the sky. I could easily spend an afternoon soaking up the sun and lettting my imagination run wild as I watched the clouds take on different shapes. My imagination took me on many adventures.
I haven't consciously participated in that activity for many, many years. But, the other day I was taken back when I saw this scene above, staring me in the face. I found my imagination taking over! At first sight, it looked like a top of a ship's deck and I imagined the ship being tossed to and fro in the waves on the sea. Or.. could it be a bridge over a large lake with the mountains in the background? What about ship masts? It surely didn't look like what I was really looking at!
What was I really looking at? The top of the Olympic Skating Rink building in Kearns, Utah. Home to the 2002 Winter Olympic Games. Saturday, August 17, 2013, I was at the Kearns Oquirrh Park Fitness Center to cheer my youngest daughter on in her first triathlon... really called "TriathaMom!" My pride and joy was filled to the brim that day. And, I even got to use my imagination in a way I hadn't since childhood! Good day, I'd say!
Think left and think right and think low and think high.
Oh, the thinks you can think of if you only try!
Dr. Suess

I love your photo and choice of quote, but I really love your story :)
ReplyDeleteYes, I did the same as a child, thank you for sharing and bringing back memories. Cheers
ReplyDeleteI do this on the beach.
ReplyDeletegood old Dr. Suess. He always seems to know how to say it. That building certainly leads to the use of the imagination. What a great shot. I took my picture from the back window of the Amtrak when we went to Nauvoo. It's between Green River and Colorado.
ReplyDeleteMy son loved Dr. Seuss and we read one almost every night, and I hated how it made my jaw ache with all the twists of words, and I'd try to beg off, but he'd insist. Now the grandbabykins likes to watch him on TV. I love what you chose as the words to go with the picture, and your story about what your imagination was seeing and the twist of what the picture really is. I thought it was the ship. haha :)
ReplyDeleteDr. Seuss was such a wonderful philosopher! At first glance I also saw ship masts. Our imaginations need to be fed from time to time. Glad you're feeding yours!
ReplyDeleteVisiting from Quotography.