Wednesday, August 15, 2012

Goulash... the MANLY kind

I think most people have eaten goulash at least once in their lifetime.  We were no exception.  Goulash is usually considered a poor-man's meal.  But not my mom's!  No siree.  Her's was Manly in every way.  Not the Wimpy kind that you associate goulash with. You know... the macaroni and loose ground beef, tomato sauce, and a few left over veggies thrown in. Mom's goulash had the most delectable combination of flavors.  She fashioned bite sized meatballs, sliced fresh carrots, potatoes, and celery.  A perfect blend of soup and milk made up the gravy.

Mom's goulash was a complete and well-balanced meal and full of color.  It was the perfect meal for any season. I loved it as a child and love it as an adult.  I fixed it for my children growing up. They still consider it one of their all time favorite meals and request it when they visit.  Mom's goulash was, and still is, a First PrizeBlue Ribbon meal in our family!


GOULASH

Meatballs:
  • ground beef
  • small grated potato & carrot
  • 2 T. onion, grated
  • 3 T. flour
  • 1/4 t. garlic
  • 1 T. Worcestershire sauce
  • 1/4 cup evaporated canned milk
  • salt & pepper to taste
Combine all ingredients together and shape into walnut size meatballs.  Put in fridge for a half hour.  Place a small amount of oil (I like Canola) into a large fry pan and cook meatballs until done, turning as needed.

Vegetables:
  • potatoes
  • carrots
  • celery
Peel and cut potatoes into walnut size pieces.  Peel and slice carrots.  Slice the celery. Combine in a saucepan and cook until semi-done.  

Gravy:
  • can of cream of chicken soup 
  • rest of canned milk
Mix soup and milk together.  Pour over meatballs.  Add vegetables.  Heat just to warm gravy mixture.  

I like to add a green salad and homemade rolls and jam to make the meal complete.








6 comments:

  1. Holy Cow. That must have been some crash. Glad you weren't hurt. I remember being run over by a bike walking to school once. I love the picture of your bike. I think my first one was a blue Schwinn.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You learned how to ride a bike at 4? That's impressive. I was older than that. My BF taught me how to ride hers. My folks couldn't afford to buy a bicycle for me until I was older, I think I was 10 or 11 when I finally got one of my own. I do recall a scary accident on a 10-speed which was much too big for me when I was about 12 - the scraps, the bruises, the shakiness, the embarrassment,and the blessings of not being severely injured since a car was involved. Good post!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That goulash looks delicious! I've actually been wanting to try my hand at making some for a looong time now. It seems now I have a recipe to use :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think your goulash recipe sounds excellent - never had it with meatballs.

    My first bike was a Blue Schwinn. I also remember a bike wreck - but I think I was more like 8.

    Enjoyed your post!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love mom's goulash! I haven't had it in a while. I'll have to make it. That picture you took of it is perfect. I remember when you crashed in front of Nina Goodrich's house and broke your arm!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow! I never had goulash that looked like that. I am going to have to make this soon. Yum.

    The bike wreck sounds terrifying. I was so timid I think it would have ended my biking career!

    ReplyDelete